How to Install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
If you a Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra and wants to get full control to modify according to your need, then custom recovery is the right option.
So, what is custom recovery? it is the third party recovery image that helps in replacing the default recovery mode with limited option that comes with android device.
Custom recovery provide more advanced features and options for users who want to modify their Android devices higher what the stock recovery allows.
Basically, there are two most popular custom recoveries for Android are available known as TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) and CWM (ClockworkMod Recovery). TWRP is reliable and mostly used.
In this blog post, we’ll be showing a comprehensive guide that helps you to install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra.
Table of Contents
What is Team Win Recovery Project?
TWRP stands for (Team Win Recovery Project) is the most popular recovery image used to flash third party firmware, mods, custom kernels and more. It provides a touchscreen user interface that allows users for take complete backup in current android system. Users can install custom ROMs (custom versions of the Android operating system), install flash third party apps, wiping the cache partition, dalvik cache, system partition, and more.
Team Win Recovery Project is compatible for numerous android devices. It’s primarily used to root smartphone or tablets. As you may know that, every smartphone comes with default recovery that is used for performing system updates and factory resets. But custom recovery like TWRP offers advance system modifications like a manufacturer.
Benefits of installing TWRP on Samsung S20 Ultra:
- It allows users to easily backup their bootloader, operating system, data, and applications. Users can easily install ROMs, custom kernels, and customizations.
- You can uninstall pre-installed apps (bloatware) and block advertisements.
- It facilitates system file management, permission changes, cache cleanup, and data deletion.
- It allows you to install custom zips that contain themes, tweaks, and customizations that require root or recovery access.
- Without a computer, you can quickly root and unroot your Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra.
- It enables you to configure overclocking CPU/GPU, which improves the performance of your smartphone.
Disadvantages of installing TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra:
- TWRP installation can be a dangerous technique that can harm your phone if done incorrectly.
- Banking applications may not function properly.
7 Steps to install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
In this section, we’ll go over seven simple steps for installing TWRP. So, you will be able to fully utilize the hidden features of your Galaxy S20 Ultra. The process is simple if you follow this guidance. If your smartphone is not ready for this procedure, read the following:
Preparation before Installing TWRP on Galaxy S20 Ultra:
- Check that your phone is at least 50% charged.
- Make a complete backup of everything such as contacts, images, videos etc.
- Remove the Samsung account, device password or pin.
- A laptop or computer as well as a genuine USB cable are required.
Step1: Unlock Bootloader of Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
The first step is to unlock Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra bootloader. The bootloader is a special code/program that runs before your phone starts up and loads the device system software. Unlocking the bootloader grants your phone full access to install custom recovery. TWRP cannot be installed unless the bootloader is lock. Simply follow the steps carefully to if want to unlock bootloader.
Enable Developer Mode:
- First of all, go to the settings of your Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and then scroll to bottom find “about phone” option and open.
- After that and select “software information“ for to view build number.
- Then tap “build number” for about seven times simultaneously until the developer mode is enable.
- You will see “developer mode” has been enabled.
Enable USB Debugging, OEM Unlock Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra:
- In developer options, scroll down and enable “OEM unlocking” option. Here you see bootloader already unlocked.
- After that scroll to bottom and click on “USB debugging” option. Then click ok to enable.
Note: Make sure that both option is enabled, it’s important if you want to install TWRP. If you confuse about these steps you can contact us.
This is necessary step, as it allows you to modify system level that your are able to customize your smartphone software. In this section, we’re going to provide basic steps to ensure that your Galaxy S20 ultra bootloader has unlocked or not.
- In this step, turn off your phone and connect it to a computer using a data cable. Then, keep pressing the “Power button + (Volume Up + Volume Down)” keys at the same time until you see the “Warning” screen.
- To unlock the bootloader, press and hold the “Volume Up” button for a duration longer than seven seconds. Use the volume buttons to navigate to “Yes” when asked if you want to unlock the bootloader, and then press the power button to confirm.
Step2: Download Necessary Files
In this step, we’re going to download the TWRP file or Odin program in order to install TWRP on your Samsung S20 ultra.
- Download the latest version of Odin, which is a tool used for flashing firmware and custom recoveries on Samsung devices.
- TWRP recovery file needed to download you can visit official site. Remember that you need to find to download “.image.tor” file from here.
Download Here: Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra TWRP
- Once download, then move it to your computer.
Step3: Installing Odin on your computer
- Run the downloaded file after extracting the Odin ZIP file. Follow on screen instructions to install simply.
Step4: Boot Samsung S20 Ultra into download mode
Moving into download mode is necessary because firmware must be flashed. It allows your smartphone for connect to computer Simply follow these steps to successfully boot your device into download mode.
- First of all, turn off your Samsung S8 plus. Once your phone goes to switch off mode then press on (bixby + volume down + power) buttons at the same time and hold all these three until you will not see warning screen.
- Now to continue you have to press “volume up” button once and again press yes. You see the downloading screen appeared which we need.
Step5: Connect your phone to computer
- Connect your S23 ultra to your computer using a USB cable. Remember that use only original cable to ensure a smooth procedure.
Step6: Flash TWRP using Odin
- Open Odin program on your Pc. Make sure that your phone is connected. Once it connected, you see this COM as shown in image. It means that your phone has been detected.
- In this step, you see all slots such as “BL, AP, CP, CSC, UserData“. You need to click on “AP” to choose TWRP tar file that you have just downloaded or move into you computer. Tap to open, it might take some time or depending on how heavy that file.
- Make sure you have disable Auto Reboot in option as shown in picture. If not then uncheck the “Auto Reboot” button.
- Click on “Start” button. It will take some time to complete.
- Once complete, you will see pass as shown in image. It means that the recovery has been successfully flashed.
- Now, you need to boot into recovery mode. Firstly get out from download mode. So, press Volume Down key and power button for 7 seconds.
Step7: Boot into TWRP:
Now, we need to boot Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra into TWRP recovery mode. After flashing TWRP, immediately boot into TWRP recovery mode to avoid the stock recovery overwriting it during the first boot. But firstly get out from download mode.
- Press Volume Down key and power button for 7 seconds.
- During this moment’s your Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra is about to boot up. So, you can start the combination of recovery by pressing (Bixby+Volum Up+Power) button quickly and holding these combinations until recovery page not open. If you fail to boot it on time then you phone will boot up. You can try again right after switch off your device.
Note: Now, you can install custom ROMs or custom kernels, mods apps and more. You can also root your device to get more control over your smartphone OS.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra?
TWRP recovery allows you to install root on your Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra and gain more administrative access to your smartphone’s operating system. Rooting allows you to install new apps, edit system files, and bypass manufacturer restrictions. If you want to root your smartphone, we recommend reading our guide on how to root an Android phone. It will provide you with a thorough understanding of roots.
Read more: How to root Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
I hope you were able to install TWRP on your Galaxy S8+ smartphone after following the instructions above. We went over every step of the procedure, including preparation, bootloader unlocking, downloading the Odin or TWRP file, booting into download mode, and installing TWRP, as you are aware.
Please contact us if you have any further questions about this tutorial. We will get back to you as soon as possible.